Skip to Content

Can I be an Owner-Builder?

Anyone who carries out 'builder' work valued over $20,000 must be a registered builder or an approved owner-builder before applying for a building permit from the local government.

Under the Building Services (Registration) Act 2011, owner-builders are required to obtain approval from the Building Services Board, administered by the Building Commission, before obtaining a building permit to carry out owner-builder work on their land.

Applicants are required to provide evidence of their ownership of the land and demonstrate that they have sufficient knowledge of the duties and responsibilities of an owner-builder.

 What is 'Builder Work'?

 What is 'Building Work'?